Old 03-03-2009, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty_Hinge[_2_] Rusty_Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Govt to do something usefull?

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

/chop/

IMHO, the disease has almost certainly been here for many years
undetected, control measures haven't worked and won't. because of the
nature of spread (rain, wind,. feet) and long list of susceptible
species. . Maybe it will harmlessly mutate, and disappear like Dutch
elm disease did.

It didn't. It's still rampant.

About two weeks ago, Scottish Govt officials arrived in my garden
unannounced to search for Phytophthora kernoviae. They are examining
every private garden within 3 km of the known outbreak, to determine the
spread.
I asked what would happen if it was found, and was told "procedures
will be put in place". :-( Back in the Dutch elm disease outbreak in
the 70's in England , a local council slapped a destruction order on 5
elm trees in our garden.. It cost us a great deal of money and there
were no grants. Had we not complied, the council would have done the
work and charged us for it.

The good news is, the examiner found no signs in my garden this
time. And they won't in future, either.

Unless he had it on his boots...

for host plants see
http://www.eppo.org/QUARANTINE/Alert...ngi/PHYTKE.htm