Old 03-03-2009, 09:42 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Stephen Henning Stephen Henning is offline

Default Water Lilies

"ReelMcKoi" wrote:

If it's a dirt bottom pond adding water lilies can be a mistake unless
you keep them in large submerged tubs

I put 4 water different colored water lilies in a 15' x 45' pond with a
cement bottom. After a few years we only had a white water lily, but it
was all over the pond. When I drained the pond about 25 years later, I
saw what looked like a black plastic hose all over the pond bottom. It
was the rhizome of one of the lilies that had taken over the entire
pond. It must have been over 200 feet long. I saved the best sections
of this rhizome and planted them in pots when I refilled the pond.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6