Old 12-04-2003, 05:20 AM
Radika Kesavan

Default How did everybody get started with their rose hobby?

lms wrote:
In article ,
says...

http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/Persi99.jpg

That is absolutely stunning, ...

why...why...why...thank you, k rad, I'll be your messenger.

Heh. You are welcome, it's the truth, and thank you for the offer.

that thing has escaped the grounds, has popped up on the other side
of the pickets, in horse territory. they'll strip everything they
can reach on some roses, but they leave this one and R. primula
alone.

That is definitely a plus.

Is that a grape vine in the foreground in the first shot?

being still naked, the extent to which:
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/8x6S.jpg ...

Aye, that is still naked all right. Here, they just started leafing out,
but it beign a very strange El nino / La Vieja cycle of a year, the
Concord is completely bloomed and the Muscat is mid-way in blooming.
Very strange patterns of growth and bloom this year.

or so I hedge the bets and hack the grape.

Well, you still have them quite large. I think.

what gives me a good charge in this pic is that skyrose right-center,
back there along the fence--Cl. McGredy's Sunset, which was in the
first order I placed with Roses of Yesterday and Today years ago, and
my first hugely successful moved rose.

Show me again, please, when they bloom. I lack in imagination. Why did
you move that rose?

Used to grow in front of--north of--Cl. Talisman, Trigintipetala and
Soleil d'Or--they were smothering it. At the time I requested that
RoY&T catalog I wanted to plant some old roses but when I actually
got the catalog I ended up getting just two 'old' roses, Leda and
Trigintipetala aka Kazanlik. The other 'modern' was Cl. Talisman,
they're all still alive and plenty potent. omni potent.

Speaking of potent and fecund roses, for the first time in all these
years, I have got rose seedlings popping up in a couple of different
places; one is something from Irene Watts, or Souv de St. Anne's and
some Moore miniatures; the other is something from one of Kim's roses -
Dotty Louise, Othello, Gertrude Jekyll and Comte de Chambord. That's
what happens when I give up on deadheading. Am just letting the
seedlings grow in situ to see if I can tell what is what.

And I almost forgot, I'm also growing 74 Oldsmobiles out there. It's
greening up.

Very luxuriantly too.

haha. definitely, it's right up there wit crossing foetida bicolor
with Elina, only need another Elina.

Isn't bicolor sterile? It is blooming now, and is gorgeous. I have got
too much lavender at its feet, need to hack through it soon.

And what happened to the other Elina? Bit the dust? Bit the ice?

Mind explaining?

the red rose, a recorded first rose moment
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/nuuk.jpg

all the ones and zeroes, you know who you are hahahaha, it's all
gobbledegook without a decoder.

Mister Lincoln g?

--
Radika