Old 12-04-2003, 05:32 AM
bern muller

Default Bugs????

Bob H wrote in message
I found bugs of some kind in the pond today, they don't look like
mosquitoes, they seem to have black bodies with 4 legs that stretch out to
all 4 corners when they swim with what appear to be single wings...the

whole
bug is about the size of shelled sunflower seed or smaller but the legs
spread out to about the size of a quarter...they o.k. or do I need to nuke
the pond?

Do they seem to we walking on the water? If so they are water striders, and
are harmless. Usually the fish will reduce the bug population to next to
nothing. Nuking the pond to get rid of bugs is almost never necessary.