Old 05-03-2009, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
moghouse moghouse is offline

Default A Newbie with lots of question about allotment!

On Mar 4, 6:42*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
Not everyone these days has been brought up growing veg or, indeed,
anything.
Things that, due to our years of experience, we may take as just normal, the
way it is, they don't know about or understand so they are on a steep
learning curve and I do feel sorry for them. Most are too embarrassed to ask
the old farts, and anyway, what do they ask? They don't know enough even to
know that. Books is all they have and some of those assume basic knowledge.

Bob Hobden

One of the things I did when I retired to supplement my pension was to
sell plants at Boot sales, and very profitable it was. Although some
professional plant sellers came and complained that my prices were too
low. My wife and I were amazed that so many of our customers seemed to
know hardly anything about the plants they were buying or how to grow
them. They did not seem at all backward in asking for advice, in fact
our Saturday and Sunday mornings turned into one long plant clinic and
advice centre. It was a lot of fun if rather repetitative.