Old 05-03-2009, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mark mark is offline

Default Wild Garlic

"echinosum" wrote in message

mark;832256 Wrote:
I've Googled for pics and I'm not sure it is wild garlic. I saw biggish

plants with wide flat leaves and white star flowers.
The plant is more like snowdrop size, with a white snowdrop size
flower
and has a very strong garlic smell. It is growing like a carpet in an

adjacent wooded area.

The bulbs are comparable to snowdrops but probably smaller.
It grows a lot faster and is more promiscous (?) than snowdrops and
seems
to like my lawn.

Check out Allium paradoxum, or few-flowered leek, an invasive weed.

My parents have an incredibly invasive small onion weed in their
Somerset garden, I suspect this is the thing.

I think you are right.
I googled pics of Allium Paradoxum and it looks like what I've got. Thank
you
Also known as 'few flowered garlic'.

It is very rare in Northern Ireland
http://www.habitas.org.uk/flora/species.asp?item=2204