Old 06-03-2009, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
moghouse moghouse is offline

Default Wild Garlic

On Mar 6, 1:58*am, DaveP wrote:
It's a bit too early for wild garlic/ramsons, which usually flowers
from April to May. *I strongly suspect the plant in question is Allium
triquetrum (Three-cornered Leek) which has become widely naturalised
in the south and is gradually extending north. *It is very common
around here forming large clumps in uncultivated ground. *It is
invasive and probably not recommended for inclusion in small gardens
unless rigorously controlled. *The bulbs can be used as a substitute
for shallots (albeit very small ones), the leaves are quite pleasant
if chopped and added to salads and the edible flowers can be included
for a bit of visual interest as well.

I think from reading this thread that there are a number of types of
allium refered to as wild garlic. None of those yet illustrated are
either of the two varieties that I struggle with! In this part of the
country we are well forward and neither of mine are yet showing signs
of flowering though I have had crocus, snowdrops, and pulmanaria in
bloom for some time.