Old 07-03-2009, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Duck weed and frogs

On 7/3/09 11:37, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 11:29:51 +0000, Sacha wrote:

On 6/3/09 23:47, in article , "DerekW"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 6/3/09 19:05, in article
, "Judith
in
France" wrote:

On Mar 6, 5:26 pm, Sacha wrote:
Any chance that frogs and/or tadpoles eat duckweed?!
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Straw will clear it. Don't know about Frogs though.

Judith

It's quite a large pond and barley straw hasn't helped in the past - or
not
enough, anyway. I suppose we could try dragging some clumps of it across
the pond.....

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Are we confusing duckweed Lemna minor with algal blooms and filamentous
algae which barley straw does control.

No, what we have is duck weed. And it's worst on the pond we don't want to
put fish into!

How about using a vacuum cleaner made for cleaning swimming pools

It would clog up in seconds and take the small but desirable things with it,
like frogspawn, newts, dragonfly larvae etc!