Old 07-03-2009, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stephen Wolstenholme Stephen Wolstenholme is offline

Default Lemon Plant loosing leaves

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 17:02:24 -0000, "Dave" wrote:

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
The message
from "Dave" contains these words:

I've had a dozen lemon seedlings 'growing' in the greenhouse over winter
(North West). It's not heated, they're not propagated (just growing
out of a
seed tray) and the greenhouse is cetainly not frost free judging by the
amount of plants that have died in there over winter. I've also had one
growing inside the house. All of them have kept their leaves but that
could
be down to their age. The cold doesn't seem to have had any affect on
them.
I have very little gardening knowledge but could something else be
causing
the loss of leaves?

No. Well, extremely unlikely.

I left a couple of young lemons out 'sacrificially' last autumn to see
if they'd survive.

They haven't.

I expect there are varieties which are hardier than others, though.

They were out of a couple of lemons I bought from Sainsbury's so I've no
idea what type they are... just figured I'd plant them & couldn't be
bothered finding room for them indoors over winter. I had some grapefruit
seedlings growing next to them but threw those out last week as I needed
more room in the greenhouse.

I've grown a few lemon plants from pips. They never produce any fruit.
Even after many years. The ones that we see for sale that are already
in fruit are grafted. All you will get from pips is a plant about
three foot high with quite nice shiny leaves.

Steve

--
Neural Planner Software Ltd http://www.NPSL1.com