Old 08-03-2009, 12:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Rambling/Climbing Roses

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 22:09:35 +0000, Backhouses
wrote:

I have a rambling and a climbing rose which have run riot over a
pergola. Can I just prune them right back and start again? I would be
grateful for some advice.

Yes, you can drastically prune well-established roses. I have only
done this drastic cutback one time due to blackspot. I bought a pair
of Felco pruning shears just for my Don Juan roses. Roses benefit by
regular pruning, allowing better air circulation, shape, light, and
bloom. Wear long sleeves and leather gloves.