Old 08-03-2009, 01:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R Bill R is offline

Default Rambling/Climbing Roses

Backhouses wrote:
I have a rambling and a climbing rose which have run riot over a
pergola. Can I just prune them right back and start again? I would be
grateful for some advice.

Climbing roses do tend to "take over" if you let them. Even though the
so-called experts don't recommend pruning them I give some of mine a
good pruning about every five years. It grows over an archway (there
are actually two bushes, one on each side). To keep it "in check" I
also prune it lightly in late winter (about this time of the year).
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL