Old 08-03-2009, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Brown Kate Brown is offline

Default Off to Harlow Carr today:)

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009, Rusty_Hinge wrote
The message
from "Pete C" contains these words:

Rusty Hinge wrote:
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

(!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
(HTML(HEAD

snippy
where you get that from please?

Ophelia posted in HTML by mistake.

A proper newsreader doesn't render HTML, it just displays the code if
it's there.

So those readers with HTML culpability wouldn't just convert the code to
a pretty-pretty page, I used the Edit/Find-Replace function to find all
and convert to (.

HTH

A *seriously* proper newsreader, such as the admirable Turnpike, takes
HTML and txt and treats those two impostors just the same. It ignores
the code (though you can right-click and see it rendered if you wish,
which is sometimes necessary for email), so I never saw it. But I do
think it's a bit unfair simply to quote the code crossly and not explain
what the problem is. Outlook Express does have a habit of choosing HTML
for email and presumably news as well, and after an update lots of
default things like that can get reset without your knowledge.

--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne dot org dot uk if you
want to reply personally