Old 08-03-2009, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Identification if possible please

On 8/3/09 17:15, in article
, "Judith
in France" wrote:

On Mar 8, 5:01*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 8/3/09 16:58, in article
, "Judith in

France" wrote:
On Mar 8, 4:37*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 8/3/09 16:25, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2qxauly.jpg

This was growing Mounts Botanical Gardens at West Palm Beach and I
thought it was beautiful. *For size comparison see my hand. *Would it
be possible to grow or is it a hot place tree/shrub which maybe could
survive in a heated garden room, which I don't have, yet.

Many thanks

Could be a Cestrum, possibly fasciculatum Newellii. *If it is, it wouldn't
be hardy with you, so you'd have to grow it in a pot. *Even then, it might
not get to that size of leaf and flower cluster in your garden but it's
still a lovely thing and worth growing. *Cestrum nocturnum is another
stunner in a sunny garden because it releases a fabulous scent at night.

If I grew it in a large pot, one like my Oleander grows in, I posted a
pic of that last year, do you think it would survive an unheated
drawing room in Winter?

Judith

Not below around -7C. *Charlie had much lower temps than us this year so may
be able to tell you more from personal experience. *Ours live in a
greenhouse where gentle heating comes on if it falls below 0C. *We can grow
C. parquii outside.

Our house is an L shape and we only heat one side of the L, we shut up
the other wing for the Winter as fuel is so expensive. I will put in a
max/mim thermometer just to see what it falls to, there is still snow
on the higher mountains here but it's not so cold so maybe it's too
late to take an accurate Winter reading.

Judith

I haven't checked today's outside temps today but all I can tell you is that
it's damn cold, still light and the curtains in my study are drawn to keep
the house warm! The design of your house sounds extremely sensible but I
trust you have a sturdy door between one half of 'l' and the other. ;-)
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com