Old 09-03-2009, 01:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
DaveP DaveP is offline

Default Identification if possible please

Rusty wrote:

It looks like the monstrous result of miscegination between a hellebore
and honeysuckle.

And possibly more poisonous than both of them added together Rusty,
but then if we were to try and avoid plant toxins, gardens would be
devoid of the most popular ornamental plants.

I grew it (the Clerodendron) some years ago and it's a magnificent and
rewardingly rapid grower with quite luxuriant, impressive leaves
especially on new basal shoots . A chopped down, finger-high sucker
(this species is a bit of a 'runner') with barely any root was
received in late January and by late November it was well over 1.5m
high carrying several large clusters of flower. I was too confident
about its reputed US Zone 9b/10 rating and the ensuing long, wet, but
not cold winter winter saw it off. I've not been able to get any
more. Maybe if I'd given it protection until it was better established
I'd still have it now - although after this winter just passed ...

Judith, if you can source it, it will do well in a very large (40cms
diameter min.) amply drained container filled with any decent loam
based compost. In a conservatory or dragged out onto a warm, sunny
patio when frosts are over it will grow well, but you'll have to bring
it inside for flowering since it starts its performance in winter and
doesn't stand up to frequent or hard frosts very well. There's a more
compact, free-er flowering variety with darker coloured stems and
richly coloured leaf reverses, but the name escapes me. It still
makes a biggish plant although with smaller leaves, I feel that some
of the charm is lost.