Old 10-03-2009, 03:13 AM posted to aus.gardens
jonno jonno is offline

Default Snakes

wrote:
On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 10:15:00 +1100, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

Are there any amateur herpitologists reading here?

Yesterday just after having spent hours working in a particular spot, I saw
a Tiger Snake there. When I told my husband he said, "But he's such a
friendly snake". (And to think I've been married to this goose of a man
for nearly 40 years!)

Anyway, I was telling a neighbour this tale of husband silliness and they
said that snakes are cranky at the moment as it's breeding season. My
response was that I thought they bred earlier in the season. Neighbour then
said that it could be that they are shedding their skins now and that is why
they are cranky. I checked with a friend whose son has pythons and she said
they do get cranky when they shed their skins and that she once had to help
to wrestle a snake into a bathtub to aid it when it failed to shed as it
should and it got super cranky.

The sum total of this all these exchanges made me realise that although I
frequently see snakes, I don't know lot about them. I know a fair amount
about the birds and other animals aroudn here but not snakes.

Does anyone know anythign about the life cycle of snakes? Or a good book on
the subject?

Books are out. The Net is in...

It'll probably be one with "SNAKES" in the title.... (:-))

Yep google webpage put in "Australian snakes and their habits"

This is what I got
# [PDF]
Whip Snakes & Marsh Snakes
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
Yellow-faced Whip Snakes and their relatives extend over much of.
Australia. While plentiful in most habitats, they tend to avoid moist ...
http://www.qm.qld.gov.au/inquiry/fac...eaflet0022.pdf
#
Jennifer Marohasy: Crikey! Burn Habitat To Save Endangered Snake
"Rick reveals the threats to their bush habitat in south-eastern New
South Wales. ..... Australian Museum. Threats to the Broad-headed Snake
- ...
http://www.jennifermarohasy.com/blog...es/001612.html

# [PDF]
Habitat requirements of the threatened snake species Hoplocephalus ...
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
but information on their habitat requirements should be central to
management planning. ...... is the case with other arboreal Australian
snakes, struc- ...
http://www.bio.usyd.edu.au/Shinelab/...habitatreq.pdf -

#
Spectacular Snakes of Australia
of their heads, as opposed to the small, bead-like scales present in
carpet pythons. ... habitat west of Townsville. Spectacular Snakes of
Australia ...
http://www.publish.csiro.au/samples/...a%20sample.pdf