Old 11-03-2009, 10:59 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Pond Addict Pond Addict is offline

Default Is 'swimbladder disorder' catching ?

I brought my fish in today, put it in pond water, gradually raised the
salt to .18 as it warmed up and several hours later the fish was
looking somewhat strong so I decided to add some praziquantel as well.
The fish is now swimming around quite well--although not 100%, it's
more than 100% better--swimming almost constantly. When I brought it
in, all it could do was lie on its side, and I haven't seen it lying
on its side for several hours now. It actually looks hungry. I'll have
to see if I can find some medicated food for it.

I plan to bump the salt one more time tomorrow and also add salt to
the pond. I checked and it's at 0% out there right now.

I looked at scrapings under my microscope but didn't see anything
prior to putting the fish in the tank. But, clearly something was
bothering this guy.

Anyway, Carole, I'd recommend the same approach since it sounds like
your fish is in a similar state. If you leave it in the pond, it will
probably just continue to suffer and die, and may spread problems to
your other fish in the meantime. I'd consider treating your pond with
salt now and with prazi when it's warm enough, especially if you think
other fish are exhibiting similar signs. If you do have parasite
issues, once the water warms up they'll become very active.

Dave