Old 12-04-2003, 12:44 PM
bnd777

Default Ceanothus problem

Sorry Sacha I did not mean "hard pruned" as in to kill the thing
...........and no i did not kill it just needed pruning sooner than i thought
and thus it got too tall and heavy for a light sandy soil so started falling
over and thence it died
"Sacha" wrote in message
in article , bnd777 at
wrote on 11/4/03 9:05 pm:

Some ceonanthus seem to do this
Some like one spot and not another
They need to be hard pruned or they outgrow their strength
My daughter had a stunning one in what to me was a lousy position yet

mine
of the same variety in good soil conditions gave up the ghost after

putting
on way too much growth

If you hard pruned it, perhaps you killed it? I've always understood that
they *don't* like to be cut into too hard. OTOH, I've always had

Ceanothus
that attempt to colonise the entire garden. Some of them seem to have
thuggery bred into them, so perhaps one just has to put up with that.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk