Old 12-03-2009, 12:51 AM posted to aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Snakes

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
Are there any amateur herpitologists reading here?

Yesterday just after having spent hours working in a particular spot,
I saw a Tiger Snake there. When I told my husband he said, "But he's
such a friendly snake". (And to think I've been married to this
goose of a man for nearly 40 years!)

Anyway, I was telling a neighbour this tale of husband silliness and
they said that snakes are cranky at the moment as it's breeding
season. My response was that I thought they bred earlier in the
season.

They breed in spring as soon as it is warm enough to allow them to move
about easily. Which is why you will find them moving about more at that
time, they are looking for a mate. We find the most snake road kill at
that time.

Thanks for that. I'd thought they bred in Spring too.