Old 12-03-2009, 02:30 AM posted to aus.gardens
Tom N Tom N is offline

Default Defeat for the bats, birds and possums.

Tom N wrote:

I have only used spray but IIRC you can wrap several layers of cardboard
around the trunk at the right times of the year to catch the grubs and I
have some vague memory of there being other methods (maybe biological
controls or other traps).

Forgot to say that codling moths spend part of their lifecycle in a cocoon
under bark or in the ground, hence the wrapping of the cardboard around the
trunk which catches them on their way down from the fruit.

Quite a lot on google if you look for "codling moth organic control"

e.g. http://www.greenharvest.com.au/pestc...moth_info.html
It talks about the cardboard method, parasitic wasps (commercially
available), home-made traps, and covering fruit with exclusion bags.

You can yse Lebaycid spray (which I have used), but you are supposed to use
it every 2 weeks until 2 weeks before picking (when I used it, I didn't do
it more than a few times a season).
http://www.yates.com.au/problem-solv.../codling-moth/