Old 11-03-2009, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gordon H[_3_] Gordon H[_3_] is offline

Default Well well!

In message ,
writes
In article ,
Muddymike wrote:

So my original plan to just drop the submersible pump down there as required
may not work as I doubt it will lift the water that far. I now wonder if
investing in a better pump would be worthwhile as the electricity used to
lift the water may cost more than I pay the water authority.

Anyone have any experience in the cost of running a pump at that depth?

Why not do the calculations? I assume that you know the cost of
water per cubic metre, and electricity per kilowatt-hour? Clearly
pumps won't be more than 100% efficient, but they can get close.

[ In case you are mathematically challenged, the answer is that you
can lift about 26 cubic metres of water for a kilowatt hour. ]

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

According to my water meter readings that would provide my (single)
household for about one year.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply