Old 12-03-2009, 05:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
DaveP DaveP is offline

Default Identification if possible please

Ihave discovered how and when Clerodendrum became Clerodendron in my
mind. A few days ago, was trying to remember when I acquired a couple
of plants and went back into databases that I've maintained over the
years. Musing through, I discovered that in the original db,
Clerodendrum fragrans is shown as an acquisition in 1996 and that it
was dug up in 1998. In later version, 2002 Clerodendrum ugandense is
entered in 2002, subsequently corrected to C. myricoides 'Ugandense'
and then Rotheca myricoides ssp. myricoides, which is it's current
name. In 2005 Clerodendron glabrum appears, received as seed from
Africa resulting in only two very weak seedlings that failed to
survive. So, up until and probably well after 2002 I was growing
Clerodendrum, but by or from 2005 onward I had mentally changed it to
Clerodendron ... or should I say that I'd simply reverted to the
original pre-Linnaean name? ;-)