Old 13-03-2009, 06:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
Gopher Gopher is offline

Default Spikey Thorny Climber Sought !

In message , respec24
writes

I'm searching for a tough, hardy, evergreen climber to protect from
burglars an exposed easily climbed front wall in the UK. Ideally with
huge spikes, local garden centres only have 'firethorn' with prehaps 1
or 2cm spikes but I have seen in the past somewhere a plant with 3 or
4cm plus evil spikes !?
Please help !
Pete

The Firethorn (Pyracantha) can certainly provide a pretty daunting
barrier within a relatively short period of time.

See : http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/plants/pyracantha/1003352/

You may also like to consider holly, Berberis Darwinii, Chaenomeles
quince which has several very prickly forms), hawthorn, blackthorn etc..
If it was my problem, I'd got for the Pyracantha or the Berberis - the
latter grows very dense and is extremely prickly. Certainly it would
deter me if I had burgling tendencies :-))

OOI you may care to review the gardenbanter archive.... see:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/archiv...p/t-21838.html

Good luck!
--
Gopher .... I know my place!