Old 13-03-2009, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roy Bailey Roy Bailey is offline

Default Mulching new trees

In article ,
Rusty_Hinge writes
For future planting, my advice would be to dig a big hole and toss in
bones - left over from roasts, stockmaking etc - some fairly large ones
and a lot of little ones - chicken, etc., also any old leather and
woollens (not plastic imitations and acrylic!) and mix bonemeal or
blood, fish and bone meal with the spoil as you replace it.

There is a thread currently running on the UKCider mailing list about
planting apple trees, and the advice is not to do this.

It is called 'pit planting' and advice from Thornhayes Nurseries is
quoted. See http://www.thornhayes-nursery.co.uk/advice_planting.php.

When I planted my orchard 9 years ago a forestry expert advised me just
to put a little bone meal and dried blood in the hole.

Roy.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.