Old 13-03-2009, 11:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default What to use for soil

"Paul O." wrote in message
I live in an area where if not inhabitated would be desert. Our "soil" is
sand. I have a small spot I want to do some planting in and am going to dig
that area out. I want to fill it back up with something as close to actual
soil as I can get. What is best, possibly a mixture of soil admendment and
potting soil that can be bought at the home improvement centers.

A "small spot" is meaningless... about how many cubic yards are you
talking... ten cu yds is not a lot. You will be better off buying topsoil
with compost added by the truckload (check your yellow pages for a local
supplier), then periodically add amendments you can buy by the bagful at
your local home improvement center. It'll be much too expensive to buy the
quantity of soil you're likely to need by the bagful. People almost always
under estimate the quantity of soil they need by at least twofold.