Old 14-03-2009, 03:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default Another roto-tiller question (wheel usage)

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 13:36:54 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

My front tine roto-tiller has wheels (behind the front tines), and it also
has a hinged stake thingy behind the wheels. The wheels have a mechanism
which allows them to easily be removed as an assembly.

When you roto-till, do you take the wheels off of yours and use the hinged
stake thingy for rear support? Or do you leave the wheels on and use the
stake at the same time?

Jon, I found it easier to remove the wheels and control the front tine
tiller I had with just rotating tines and the stake. I think the
wheels might be nice if you needed to move the tiller across a
driveway, patio or surface you don't want marked with tines. I didn't
need wheels to move it to prevent digging/marking up the pathway I
took to the garden, simply lifted the weight off the stake and walked
it on the tines to the place I wanted to start and dug in the stake to
hold the machine back as it began to dig. As I wanted to move forward
I lifted the stake to allow the tines to move the machine forward.
Experience in using the front tine, or "jumping jack" tiller makes it
easier.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb