Old 14-03-2009, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Growing ginger

In article ,
Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "mark" contains these words:

Now that I'm rediscovering gardening after many years of not being
particularly bothered, I'm keen to get going. Finding myself in Tescos
looking at a box of loose ginger tubers I bought a couple of them with a
view to growing them. I only went in for bread and milk.

Really need a greenhouse or conservatory, plenty of water and light, and
are extremely intolerant of cold. At low (but not sub-zero) temperatures
the foliage will die back, but the rhizome will remain viable.

Even worse, they need fairly consistent warmth and humidity, so most
greenhouses and conservatories won't do.

I grow them on a windowsill, and have never acquired significantly more
rhizome than I started with.

If you get as much, you are doing well!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.