Old 14-03-2009, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mel[_11_] Mel[_11_] is offline

Default Gardening advice

"Rock Creations" wrote

I grow potatoes in "polypots", which are sort of like plastic bin bags
but sturdier and smaller.

I live in South Wales, the garden was grass before and I havent got a
clue about the type or ph of the soil. What size buckets would I need
to grow spuds in as I would create a bit more room.

The polypots that I use each hold 17 litres of compost.

I bought 50 of them from Kays:
http://www.kaysdiscountgarden.co.uk/...22;pid= 71743

This will be my 3rd season that I've used them, and touch wood they're still
okay.

I plant one potato per pot. It's more expensive to grow in the pots because
I have to buy compost each year. However, when I dig up the spuds I tip the
soil onto my allotment beds so each year the allotment soil is improved.
Also, it's a lot of work filling the pots, but at the end of the year
they're much easier to harvest and the potatoes are a lot "cleaner" and have
(touch wood) less slug damage. Pros and Cons.