Old 15-03-2009, 02:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

Default Eggplant borer

I have eggplant borer (Leucinodes orbonalis) in my eggplants for the third
year running. I have tried spraying regularly with pyrethrum this year
which has reduced the rate of infestation but not eliminated it. Without
spraying I get about 10% edible fruit, with spraying about 50%. I have
searched the internet and it seems there is no cut and dried solution. One
of the problems is that the eggs are layed by moths continuously through the
growing season and the grubs are only vulnerable for a short time to contact
toxins before they burrow into the fruit and vanish. I prefer not to use
systemic insecticides and it isn't clear that they are completely effective
either. I don't need 100% effectiveness but only 50% is too much waste for
my liking.

My next method of control (next year) is to grow my eggplants in net cages
to keep the moths off them. Before I go to this trouble does anybody have
experience of the problem who can offer a practical solution that is better
than 50%.

David