Old 15-03-2009, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty_Hinge[_2_] Rusty_Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Newbie to gardening

The message
from Bob Minchin contains these words:

As a new reader of this NG, rather than launch in with lots of dumb
questions straight away maybe it is best I ask just one!

Is there a FAQ or similar repository of knowledge assosiated with this NG?

My first task is preparation for and planting of raspberries, loganberry
and a blackberry.

TIA

Yup - tou should find one amongst the stuff you're downloading from.
Keep clear of flaming, advertising, cussing, and really, there's not a
lot you can do wrong.

Threads tend to drift off-topic - while this is not strictly encourages,
it isn't strictly dumped-on. (Just as well, or I'd be under a *LOAD*.

Ah.

Raspberries are thugs. Don't plant too many unless you're going to make
a business out of them. They will stand nicely in line for a year, and
next spring you'll find little canelets appearing all over the place. I
planted two canes last year, and the autumn-fruiting one has about
twenty new canes appearing round it, some of them nearly six feet away.

Now, I'm quite happy with that, as I was going to propagate them anyway,
but I expect at least as many again to appear later, so, be warned.
Growing them in raised beds might be an answer.

If you plant summer-fruiting ones, you will have to net them, or the
blackbirds will scoff the lot (or just peck them to pieces). For some
reason, they seem to leave autumn-fruiting ones alone.

However - they'll 'ave yer blackberries innit.

You'll need to net your blackberries. Even though we have hedges around
which are dripping with fruit, they covet my blackberries.

The favourite way is to train the runners/canes as they grow. Remember,
they fruit on the previous year's growth. To propagate (if you have the
courage and time) the tips of the canes will root if you let them rest
on the ground.

Loganberries? Very much as for blackberries. Try boysenberries and
Tayberries too.

--
Rusty