Old 16-03-2009, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Newbie to gardening

In article ,
Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from contains these words:

My thornless blackberry is slightly more perennial, and its shoots
will live to 2-4 years. But, if there are enough young ones, then
it is best to cut out all of the old ones after they have fruited.
I don't think any 'woody' rubi fruit on the current year's shoots.

My thorny blackberry does linger longer, but it gets dreadfully straggly
because it sends out laterals on the old wood, and these laterals do
fruit - but not as prolifically as second-year wood.

It's probably the same sib-species.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.