Old 16-03-2009, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Poor light shrubs

Parkaboy wrote:
I've got a raised area next to a wall at the back of my garden that
hardly gets any sun. I have no idea what to do with it but I'm thinking
about planting some shrubs that don't mind poor light. Does anyone have
any ideas or know what shrubs / plants do well in low light?

Aucuba japonica. There are numerous cultivars. I happen to grow
"Rozannie" - it has attractive large red fruits, which are colouring up
nicely now. There are quite a few variegated (in particular, spotted)
varieties. Most nurseries carry a few.

It may not be fashionable, but grows well (but not too quickly) in almost
any soil and situation, is evergreen, and as far as I can tell doesn't
suffer from any pests or diseases.

--
Jeff