Old 16-03-2009, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default It's been a lovely day -

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from contains these words:
In article ,
Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message

Three Solanum something-or-other - muricatum - melon plums?
Honeydew-shaped fruit (but smaller!) which taste of melon (allegedly).
Not potted these on yet.

Attractive flowers, too. Apparently, they are seriously poisonous
while unripe.

Thanks for that - you'd expect Spalding Bulbs to make that quite
clear...

Actually, I take it back - I haven't a clue whether it is or not.
I had got it confused with Solanum laciniatum.

I'll have to try one then...

...grone

Don't bother. Flowers are quite nice (deeper purple than many Solanum, and
fairly large), but the fruits are a waste of time. You can't eat them until
they are ready to fall off the plant (which they do and then new plants come
up everywhere), make a mess of the path, and get all over the soles of your
shoes. And the taste? Nothing to write home about. And they are more full
of seeds than tomatoes.

--
Jeff