Old 16-03-2009, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Do Cats Get the Message

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "TheScullster" contains these words:

Hi all

I know this is a recurring theme on this group - methods for repelling
our feline "friends".
Was wondering whether repeated chase-outs actually result in the
offending creature learning that a garden is a no-go-zone.

No.

If so, what level of deterrent is necessary?

Find a chemical distributor and get a canister of aluminium ammonium
sulphate. Sprinkle the crystals on the ground where they go.

I've always understood that chemical distributors will not supply to the
general public ('elf & safety, and all that. And, of course, liability).

But that only seems to apply to the UK. An acquaintance in France who like
growing Proteaceae has trouble with an very alkaline water supply. His
solution is to acidify it with dilute nitric acid, which he makes from the
containers of umpteen litres of concentrated nitric acid he buys! Try doing
that over here.

--
Jeff