Old 17-03-2009, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
moghouse moghouse is offline

Default Do Cats Get the Message

On Mar 17, 9:26*am, Aries wrote:
On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 08:52:30 -0000, TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

I know this is a recurring theme on this group - methods for repelling our
feline "friends".
Was wondering whether repeated chase-outs actually result in the offending
creature learning that a garden is a no-go-zone.
If so, what level of deterrent is necessary?
Simple chasing out at high speed whenever they are sighted
Chasing and soft missiles - e.g. wet mud
Catapult with hard missiles
Well directed water (I'm considering one of those high powered kids water
gun things ATM)

From what I've read in this group, the retail concoctions and electronic
gizmos aren't worth bothering with.
Hence the list of measures above.
Not interested in replies from cat lovers unless they solve the problem of
cats cr@pping in my veg patch.

TIA

Phil

I don't know if this will help you at all but we have two cats and the only
way I've found to keep them off of my veg plot is to have raised beds for
which my hubby has made simple rectangular wooden frames covered in chicken
wire to fit each one which protects the seeds and growing seedlings. *As the
plants grow of course I can raise them up higher on brick and when there
isn't enough tempting soil to attract the cats I remove the frames.

Sounds a lot of trouble to go to but it isn't really, not if you want to
protect your plants. *These frames also protect my newly sown seeds from
squirrels and birds as before I had them either or both would scratch up the
seeds for a free feed at my expense !

There you go, Rusty,
Humans 1 Felines 0