Old 17-03-2009, 08:15 PM
NickH NickH is offline
Registered User

Location: Edinburgh

Many thanks for all the suggestions. I had an interesting time checking them out. Thanks especially to Sacha of
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
who correctly identified it as Clerodendrum trichotomum.

Nick
--
Sacha
Quote:

"NickH" wrote...

Can anyone identify a tree I saw when visiting Croydon in October?
It has pea sized, deep violet berries, each of which has four or five
pink bracts behind it, trailing to form the shape of a shuttlecock.

I assume it is not a native - and, being a Scot, I'm the other alien!

I can picture it but do you think I can remember the name.

Possibly Euonymus oxyphyllacus but I think it's something else where the
berry is seperated from the rest by a little stalk, a bit like a ball with a
parachute.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden