Old 17-03-2009, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
alan.holmes alan.holmes is offline

Default Who's got squirrel-trapping experience?

"mark" wrote in message
et...

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
I've got a Fenn MkIV trap but I'm not having much success in coaxing
the little bleeders into its jaws. I've dug the trap into the earth so
that its treadle plate is pretty much level with the soil and then
covered the whole trap with bark chips to make it more or less
invisible. I bought a metal tunnel with the trap, and I've covered the
whole set up with this. But despite scattering a few peanuts around
and inside the tunnel I've had no luck. They eat the nuts outside and
carefully avoid the tunnel. I thought perhaps they didn't like the
strange metal tunnel, so I've tried a couple of house bricks with roof
tile on top - no success that way either.

I don't much like the idea of poison for the sake of the squirrels or
other wildlife, so plan B is an airgun, but obviously a trap would be
a lot less work (and less vulnerable to my appalling marksmanship).

I'm sure the traps I have are Fenn, and at first I had a lot of trouble
luring the damned things into the trap. a neighbour told me they like
tunnels, so I covered the thing with bits of twigs and other debris, and
the following morning I noticed there was something strange about the
trap, when I went to have look it had one of the vermin in it.

I now cover them with a dustbin bag, put some peanuts inside on a small
tin lid, and the success rate has been high.

Don't give up, just keep trying, you will be successful in the end.

Alan

Fenn traps showing he
http://www.thehuntinglife.com/html/s...fenn-trap.html

Then the traps I have are not Fenn, I wonder what they are?