Old 17-03-2009, 08:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Carole[_3_] Carole[_3_] is offline

Default Is 'swimbladder disorder' catching ?

OK I think I need to put some salt in but I've never done this before ...how
much ?

The poor fish is still there on it's side..I thought it was dead today
because it was on the surface...but it had gone an hour later so still
swimming I guess.

The pond capacity is 800 gallons (uk) 3600 litres.

How do I add the salt ? can I use domestic salt or do i need the salt I
have in my water softener. No problem either way as I have both.

"~ jan" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 06:59:13 EDT, Pond Addict

wrote:

I'll have to see if I can find some medicated food for it.

Nix the medicated food. It isn't usually worth the extra money, imo,
unless
you can get the stuff JoAnn use to sale.

Ingrid you out there? What was the name of it, Romet-B? I haven't had to
use medicated food since Prazi came out, flukes being my key problem.
Also,
your fish really needs light feeding, nothing heavy, so its gut can
adjust.
I looked at scrapings under my microscope but didn't see anything
prior to putting the fish in the tank. But, clearly something was
bothering this guy.

I suspect gill flukes. Which would require a gill snip, but since you've
medicated not worth it now. The time I had another KHA help me with
checking one of my fish he had to go way up in the gill to finally find 1
fluke, so hardly an infestation. The hard conclusion to my problems at
that
time was over crowding... and now I'd also say not continuing frequent
water changes thru winter... and disconnecting my bottom drain which
allowed bad water, imo, to settle down where the fish were. On slow flow
water intake at the bottom is not such a problem during the winter, imo.

salt now and with prazi when it's warm enough

I checked into this and am happy to report Prazi does not require warm
water and can be used at any time. Another plus on its usage. ~ jan

Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us