Old 18-03-2009, 01:33 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] bungadora@aol.com is offline

Default Squirrel Deterent for Bulbs and Tubers

On Mar 17, 5:34*pm, wrote:
Greetings all....

Time to start planting bulbs and some suggestions are needed on
repelling squirrels. * *I've heard of *Ropel (haven't used it).

Does a natural... mix it yourself remedy exist ?? *Something
low cost but effective. * (Drink instant coffee, *so no usablecoffee
grounds.)

Just lost a whole winters collection of potted bulbs to those tree rats
I can always set up a trap to discourage the pests from
coming around, *however I'd like to try something more
humane first *as I have a new assortment of tubers going in shortly.

A note *for general information... returned a whole bunch of encore
azaleas *to Lowes and Home Depot. * I purchased 8 last year,
sinking 6 in the ground and overwintering two. *Purchased another
8 on sale this year. * *The ones in the ground didn't fare well over the winter *nor did
the mulched ones.

Started asking questions..... *the answer is.... *encore azaleas do well
in zones 7 - 10 *however they are not recommended for zone 6 where
they need to be treated as annuals *or tender perennials. * I'm at the
very northernmost part of zone 7.. about 40 miles from zone 6... so
either 6 *or marginal 7 depending upon how the wind blows.

The tag *did not have ANY hardiness zones listed whereas
many of the other shrubs had. * *I had to search the encore site and look
for the FINE PRINT *to discover the recommended zones. *

Kinda ****ed off about this as *I started looking at encore azaleas
several years ago, *observed growing habits and selected the types
of plants most suitable for the growing location in terms of size, growth
rate, *sunshine, *color and moisture. * Looked like a really nice plant.

A lot of research done, and a lot of garden center browsing done,
for a plant which is marginally acclimated for this climate. *Wish I
had all the knowledge up front... it would have saved me a lot
of time better spent elsewhere.

You would think *the big box garden centers would actually
THINK about what they sell. * Instead, *I'm finding tropical
plants in the middle of January *and *Wal Mart is selling
Day Lillies and Peonies, * already sprouting in the
middle of February when they can't be planted till
May. * * Isn't anyone using their brains ???

Aargh, * my gardening education continues...

end of rant...

Thanks !!!

Peter

I suggest you try laying a layer of chicken wire over the top surface
of the soil, covered by a thin layer of soil or mulch.
Blood meal sprinkled on the soil is also helpful, but has to be
replaced every time it rains.
Dora