Old 18-03-2009, 02:18 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Iron Bugers Iron Bugers is offline

Default Praying Mantis

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Art said:

KingFish wrote:
"bushite" wrote in message
Anyone here ever raise parying mantis'? I'm thinking of getting some egg
pods and raising them for natural insect control.
get some chickens

Do mantis eat chicken too?

I've seen video of one catching a hummingbird (a mantis, not a chicken).
Wickedly cool. The hummingbird died, apparently from a massive stroke.
Big-ass mantis, too! Looked to be 8-10". Wish I could remember which
channel that was on...

Damn. HD rox, lol =)

I tired to catch a monster of a Praying Mantis many years ago. It was
vibrant green and the biggest one I've ever seen. It was well over 6
inches maybe double in length. It was in a customers yard. I tried to
grab it and before I could blink it reversed and bit me. It hurt like
hell and bled some.
I've seen plenty I thought were large but I have never seen one again
that approached it's size.