Old 18-03-2009, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Blackpool Tomatoes?

On 18/3/09 09:33, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 09:25:22 +0000, Sacha wrote:

On 18/3/09 00:31, in article
,
"Judith Smith" wrote:

I have been visiting some friends in Blackpool.

We talked about tomatoes.

I said that this year I was growing : SUNGOLD, MARMANDE, ALICANTE,
GARDENERS DELIGHT , TIGERELLA and POMODORO

They said they preferred Blackpool or Jersey tomatoes.

I don't know if they mean tomatoes grown in Jersey and shipped to UK
supermarkets but the true Jersey tomato is Jersey Sunrise. That's the old
variety that was grown in the fields when I was a child. The HDRA has
supplies, I believe. They have had them some for some time and I sent them
some from our JS toms two years ago.
snip

Do JS really taste as good, as I remember them tasting when I was a child?

Definitely, especially if we've had the luck to have some sun! I'm probably
biased but I think they're the tops. In UK when buying tomatoes, btw, it's
always worth looking for ones from the Isle of Wight. There's a large
salads growing place there, Wight Salads (used to be known to Ray's family
when they were all in Essex) and they grow wonderful toms. I remember
hearing them praised on a foodie radio programme many years ago and
deservedly so.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com