Old 18-03-2009, 09:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default Squirrel Deterent for Bulbs and Tubers

In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

"Bill" wrote

The rats with fancy tails will not eat daffodils. Toxic.
Bill

But when hungry and food is scarce they'll instinctively dig them up, chew
and spit them out and leave them to rot.

Never lost a daffodil. Hosta however are prone to mole/vole damage.
We are OVERRUN with squirrels. No hunting pressure and nice folks that
feed them attract the *******s.. Every have one in your house ?

Bill killed 15 flying guys in the last two years in my attic chewed
their way in. Rat Traps and peanut butter ++++. .177 works well but
Baffles 4 of them in a row seem to convince them to visit my neighbors
who feed the cute critters and not visit my yard.

I'll take the bad Karma and not have my electrical system shorted.

It's very difficult to rid an area of an established squirrel population.
They are there because the location is hospitable for "housing" and most
times there is water nearby and a steady source of food. Trapping squirrels
won't work, more will take their place. Shooting at them is just as bad,
more will come, but by shooting sooner or later you'll **** off a neighbor
who will frag you with buckshot. And it's not possible to selectively
poison squirrels, you will also poison many other crtters including domestic
ones, even the carrion eaters... mice will take the bait, seek refuge in
your abode where your cat who never goes outdoors will in turn become
poisoned and very likely die. Setting out poison bait is always the dumbest
of all possible solutions, in fact it's no solution at all, unless you eat
it. There are really two choices, feed the squirrels or don't plant bulbs.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA