Old 18-03-2009, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Hello, a newbie here

"Gilli99" wrote
Bob Hobden; Wrote:
"Gilli99" wrote ...-
I live in the West country, in West Somerset. I have a fairly large
garden, which my husband and I created from scratch. We grow mainly
shrubs and flowers, but do grow some vegetables in containers.
We can grow a few more exotic plants, which seem to do well here,
because our climate is generally mild, even in the depths of winter!
Hope I get to know people here. Thank you for admitting me.
-
Welcome to URG Gill, even if you did get here in a roundabout way, one

question, you say you have a large garden and then say you grow veg in

containers etc... why?

We grow the vegs in containers, Bob, because there is only two of us,
so we dont need loads of vegs. Plus, we get inundated with pests,
snails, slugs etc so it got expensive trying to get rid of
'em!....plus!...its easier for us to weed etc..as we are both
arthritic. We are also pestered by cats..at least 6+ daily, who use the
garden as a toilet.

Ok, see your point, we are only two as well and I've had arthritis for
decades but we have a full allotment for the veg. Regarding slugs and snails
they are a problem however you garden, you have to learn to live with them
most of the time, we simply plant more to take account of the losses as we
do for diseases like White Rot. I take your point about weeding, doesn't do
your knees much good, a morning spend hand weeding the onions/shallots does
me no good. Still, no gain without pain.
Pestered by cats, lucky you, I wish we were out on the allotments, because
there aren't any we get Rabbits so have to fence every plot, and Rats and
Mice which eat all the seed peas in the ground and sweetcorn before it's
ripe etc. Believe me, cats are your friends.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden