Old 18-03-2009, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default 101 Weevil Grubs and the Rhubard

In article ,
says...
Hi All

I have just been out to move my rhubard plant into the sun and decided to
take the top layer of dirt off to renew with some fresh. When I started to
dig I noticed weevil grubs so started to pick them off. I got out as many
as I can but that is without further down the pot and near to the crown. In
the end I counted 101 of the things. The rhubard is growing so need I apply
anything to kill them, or should I take further action against the critters?

Any help appreciated

Donna

Given that you are going to eat the stuff I would advise against the
chemical cures and stick to the bio control of nematodes, there are two
sorts available and one works better at lower temps and is good outside
once soil temps have risen. and yes you do need to do something
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk