Old 18-03-2009, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty_Hinge[_2_] Rusty_Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Felling trees, the alternative way!

The message
from Sacha contains these words:
On 18/3/09 18:01, in article ,
"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote:
On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 15:27:20 GMT, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

A totally different way to remove trees including most of the roots.

Emerson Park Tree Felling Company (in which I was a partner) has been
doing that since its inception in the 1950s

It's the way the wind has been doing it since trees first grew

It felled my fir tree last year.

It knocked a 100year old macrocarpa down one path in our garden from the
churchyard next door last year, too.

Similar happening here with the same sort of tree. The useful bits are
now stacked in my back garden. You can see some of them where they were
first unloaded -
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/smoke/smoke009.jpg

Were we lucky!! We were rather happy
that the parish council paid for 3 other dangerous trees to be felled before
half our garden and a few parishioners were kicked into touch! And yes,
they were felled by the climb up, take off limbs and reduce height method.
Anything else would have wrecked a large part of our garden.

We used to do that too: http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/temp/elm.jpg
- this one was done in a back-garden around 1957

The largest trees we've taken down (in sections) were two poplars, which
were six feet in diameter at the base, and over 200 feet high. They were
landmarks - and could be seen from twenty miles away on a clear day.

--
Rusty