Old 18-03-2009, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty_Hinge[_2_] Rusty_Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Hello, a newbie here

The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:
Bob Hobden wrote:

Ok, see your point, we are only two as well and I've had arthritis for

decades but we have a full allotment for the veg. Regarding slugs and
snails they are a problem however you garden, you have to learn to
live with them most of the time, we simply plant more to take account
of the losses as we do for diseases like White Rot. I take your point
about weeding, doesn't do your knees much good, a morning spend hand
weeding the onions/shallots does me no good. Still, no gain without
pain.

Would raised beds circumvent this problem with the slugs and snails?

Yes, if you tie a piece of copper wire round the structure.

The best material is some old TV co-ax. tear off the outside coating
(many of them are pre-scored) and push (don't pull!) the braided copper
screen off the diastatic.

You'll find the bare screen will stretch to several times the length of
your original cable.

--
Rusty