Old 19-03-2009, 12:50 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Defeat for the bats, birds and possums.

Trish Brown wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
Tom N wrote:
Tom N wrote:

Apart from the fruit trees planted in the ground, I also have
berries bushes and an apple in pots. I have made a wire cage to
keep out the assorted buggers. Works well. Bit expensive for 40
trees though.

The $^#% rat found some way to get inside the cage last night and
nibbled a couple of apples. Spent a while today applying some more
wire clips and chookwire to hopefully keep the bugger out.

Having excluded them from the fruit trees now the satin bower birds
are eating my tomatos. I may have to net them too!

David

Remember a few years ago when someone got rid of her brush turkeys by
leaving a few lengths of garden hose lying around ('snakes')?

I have real snakes but no turkeys.

I wonder whether a cutout shape of an eagle might work to keep
marauding birds away.

I have the real thing there too. They have a nest on the mountain but don't
spend much time here.

You could cut it out of fridge carton material
and hang it from a tree or fencepost. I'm only half joking. It
*could* work... y'never know until you try!

Maybe so, perhaps a searchlight with and eagle cut-out, like the Batman call
sign.

OR

What about a scarecrow??? Now *that* would add a talking point to your
garden! ;-D

You'll be suggesting gnomes soon.

David