Old 18-03-2009, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia Ophelia is offline

Default Hello, a newbie here

Martin wrote:
On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 21:18:53 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

Martin wrote:
On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 20:49:37 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:
Bob Hobden wrote:

Ok, see your point, we are only two as well and I've had
arthritis for
decades but we have a full allotment for the veg. Regarding
slugs and snails they are a problem however you garden, you
have to learn to live with them most of the time, we simply
plant more to take account of the losses as we do for diseases
like White Rot. I take your point about weeding, doesn't do
your knees much good, a morning spend hand weeding the
onions/shallots does me no good. Still, no gain without pain.

Would raised beds circumvent this problem with the slugs and
snails?

Yes, if you tie a piece of copper wire round the structure.

The best material is some old TV co-ax. tear off the outside
coating (many of them are pre-scored) and push (don't pull!) the
braided copper screen off the diastatic.

You'll find the bare screen will stretch to several times the
length of your original cable.

Thank you. Val, have you used this on your raised beds?

Our trial of keeping slugs off plants by wrapping copper tape around
the stems plants was an expensive failure last year. Heineken is
still the cheapest way to kill slugs.

Is the slug thing a problem in all gardens? I think Rusty was
talking about keeping them off the plants, not killing them? Maybe
I have it wrong. Does the beer just kill them if you find them?
How will it keep them off if you are not on guard?

It kills them. More humane than using a squirrel gun to kill them.

What about an elephant gun?