Old 19-03-2009, 06:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pied piper pied piper is offline

Default Felling trees, the alternative way!

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
My new neighbours have employed some (foreign) builders to do major work
in their house and garden. There were a number of trees in the garden
quite near the house which they were instructed to remove completely....
Two conifers that had had their tops cut off many year ago.
A large mature previously pollarded walnut tree that always did lean over
because of the conifers shading it.
A decent sized golden yew that had been pollarded years ago.

Yesterday we were sitting having coffee with a friend who is a trained
gardener/arboriculturist and he suddenly looked out of our window and said
"why is that fir tree moving backwards and forwards so much?". We all
rushed upstairs to look. The builders had dug around the base, exposed the
roots, had chopped most through, and were busy using ropes to try to pull
the tree over by waggling it back and forth. Few branches had been removed
beforehand. The tree eventually dropped exactly where it should have and
then they started removing branches. Whilst we were out they managed to do
the same to the walnut even though it was leaning over a fence, without
damaging the fence. Today they have removed the remaining fir tree the
same way and will soon start on the yew. Mind you they also appear to be
attacking a cedar that is down the end of the garden and that the new
owner told me he wanted to keep.

A totally different way to remove trees including most of the roots.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Working on the tree gang 1980 we used this method for certain size trees was
a better method than being left to grind the stump.