Old 19-03-2009, 12:10 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Pond Addict Pond Addict is offline

Default Is 'swimbladder disorder' catching ?

I'd suggest getting solar salt if that's not what you have. It's water
conditioner salt that's 99.5% pure. 40 pounds sells for $5 at Home
Depot around here (Morton Solar Water Softener Salt). You need to make
sure the salt you're using doesn't have additives, as some conditioner
salt does. The blue bags at Home Depot are the ones to get. I know
Lowe's has similar, I'm just not sure if its the same brand. Check the
purity & ingredients on the bags.

Here's a salinity calculator that you can use (it assumes your salt is
at 0% to start):
http://www.cnykoi.com/calculators/calcsalt.asp

Here's a good table of what the salt will do to your plants, if any:
http://www.bonniesplants.com/how_to/salt_vs.html

Ideally, you'd want to go to .3%, but realistically that will probably
kill off most of your plants. Hopefully you can go to .2%. I'd also
look into adding praziquantel, which is somewhat expensive, but does a
good job.

The fish I brought in is now very active, (and clearly annoyed to not
be in the pond, but oh well). I still highly recommend getting your
fish out of there if possible because you can treat it better. In my
case, the fish seemed too weak to salt dip, so I brought it up to 80F,
salted to .3%, used prazi in the form of Jungle Parasite Clear, then
dropped the salt to .2% after a few days, changing water every 2-3
days. I gave it another dose of Prazi after the initial water change.

Within 12-16 hours the fish was responding. The thing is, the fish I
pulled out (which I also believe had flukes, Jan), had massive tissue
damage from lying on the bottom or something. While it's now swimming
right again, parts of the fish were almost transparent because of the
scale and tissue loss. You could see through one gill cover and also
see veins or such along its back. Layers of "skin" on the "face" and
down one side were almost completely gone until behind the gill cover
making the fish very susceptible to water-borne threats. I noticed the
"odd coloring" of the fish right away, but it took me a couple days to
realize what I was really looking at. If your fish is lying on its
side constantly, I wouldn't be surprised if its degenerating like
that, and if so I doubt it will recover in the pond unless your pond
temperature is already 70F or so.

My fish's digestive system started working after the first day, and
then it started eating by day 2 or 3. I haven't noticed the fish
eating in the last couple of days, and I'm not sure if that's just
because it's so annoyed by not being in the pond now or something
else. It seems very active and healthy otherwise.

- d