Old 19-03-2009, 09:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default Strange plant problem

Do you have a cat or dog? They sometimes nibble on young plants.
Steve
"richardg" wrote in message
I have been growing my own vegetable plants under fluorescent lights
and heating mats for many years. This year I have encountered a
problem I never had before. I hope this group can help. The seeds
germinate and grow a stem and leaves. They look vigorous. About a week
later the leaves are gone leaving only about a 1.5 inch stem The stem
looks like it is cut off right below the leaves. The stem doesn't look
diseased. This occurred on my pepper and lettuce seedlings.
Thanks, Richard